Hello Year 5
We are so glad to have you all back in school with us! If we do have to use Google Classroom at any point, please log in using the following information:
Your username is: The first letter of your first name, your Surname, followed by firstname.lastname@example.org
For example: email@example.com
We have started the year with a picture book: "The Red Tree - by Shaun Tan" and have already started to make links to some of his other books that we have studied previously, including 'The Lost Thing' in Year 4!. We have enjoyed identifying the read leaves on each page and finding the hidden details.
There will be many other books that we study over the year and the teachers can't wait to share them with you! Watch this space...
This year, we have changed the way we learn, instead of doing 3 main projects over the year, we get to learn about so many interesting things that relate to History, Geography and Science! This will be in the form of mini projects and lots of exciting lessons. Our first Enrichment topic is all about the Ancient Egyptians! So far, we have learnt that they used something called hieroglyphics as their alphabet which we found really interesting!
Help at home!
There are many things that you can do at home that will really help you in school!
- Read at home every night for around 15 minutes
- Talk about the stories you are reading, who are the characters, what are they doing and why are they making those choices?
- Read a range of text, we all have a favourite author, but it is best to read different types of books!
- Practise your times tables! Inside out, back to front and upside down! Do you know them backwards?
- Practise your mental Maths skills... How quickly can you add two numbers? What about taking away?
- Make sure your homework is completed on time and to a high standard each week, remember to ask the teacher if you are unsure.
We understand that home learning can be challenging at times so here is a list of other activities and ideas you can do to keep busy at home!
Useful websites for home learning
Here is a list of useful websites to use if you require additional material.
Being active at home is more important than ever before! We recommend you play outside at break and lunch time as this will benefit you massively. Fresh air is very important and can make you feel so much better so make sure you get lots of it! Here are some websites that you can use to help you to stay active but you could also come up with your own routine too!. Remember to tweet them in to your teacher!